| by Mel Ashley
Why do we love slings & carriers?
THEY ARE CONVIENIENT
• Having two hands free can make the world of difference to any mama.
• Hands-free parenting is not only convenient, but facilitates the bonding between mama & baby. Let’s be honest: bulky strollers, awkward prams & busy streets can get tiring quickly.
CARRIED BABIES ARE HAPPIER AND CRY LESS
• Endless bouts of screaming are not only stressful & exhausting for the baby, but also for the mama… and the people in the restaurant, airplane and supermarket!
• Indigenous (sling wearing) cultures measure a baby’s crying time in minutes, generally cultures in the west measure a baby’s crying time in hours.
• The more babies are held, the less they tend to cry, the less they cry, the more they are calmly observing & learning about the environment around them.
• Studies show that babies who are regularly carried by their mama or papa cry up to 43% less than babies who are not.
THEY HELP AID DIGESTION
• Babies, no matter how special, cute or clever, cannot defy gravity!
• Placing your baby in a sling or carrier after feeding helps the gas come up & the stomach acid stay down… simple science.
THEY PROMOTE HEALTHY EMOTIONAL DEVELOPMENT
• Your baby is naturally in tune to the rhythm of your breath, heartbeat & body movements when worn in a sling or carrier. This kind of con nection is an important element of the attachment parenting philosophy.
• Upright & aware usually means quiet & content. A carried baby is much more involved in the environment around them & able to learn more from their surroundings.
• Babies worn close to their mama spend more time in the ’quiet alert’ state. This allows them to quietly absorb & share the same sights & sounds that the mama does.
• Sharing experiences encourages easy communication between a mama & baby.
THEY PROMOTE HEALTHY PHYSICAL DEVELOPMENT
• Babies worn in a sling or carrier are believed to have better coordination, balance & motor skills. The ‘frog’ position allows a baby’s hips to be flexed at just the right angle to help promote their healthy physical development.
BONDING FOR PAPAS
• Slings & carriers are a great tool to assist the bonding between a baby and their papa. They are an amazing way to promote a special sense of attachment & awareness between them, especially in those early stages of the mama-baby- breast cycle.